Buhle Buhle Nkalashe is a painter who incorporates mixed media like Oil & Acrylic paint, & Oil pastels. Nkalashe’s work mainly consists of portraiture and abstract paintings. Fascinated by the idea of how patterns and color can be a symbol of identity, Buhle’s art documents how African contemporary culture has evolved over the years to proudly incorporate traditional symbols that speak of its heritage.
Nkalashe studio is based at the Airport Industrial and he resides in Khayelitsha. He has been painting for nearly 10 years and had his debut solo, The New African, at Youngblood Africa Gallery (2018) He also participated in several group exhibitions in Cape Town & Johannesburg, to name a few, Home is Where the Art is, Zeitz MOCAA (2020), Turbine Art Fair (2019) with Red Room Contemporary Gallery. He has been featured in various Saatchi catalogues and collections. ‘‘Best Young Artists to Collect, Saatchi Art (September), Online. In 2019 collaborated with a menswear clothing brand, Fields Store (Cape Town). Nkalashe published four collection books and in 2021, completed the Zanele Muholi residency. He has an upcoming group show New Africa at Salon Mondial Freilager-Platz 10, 4142 Münchenstein, Switzerland.
- Cape Town Creative Academy. Cape Town, South Africa.
- 2016 Graphic Design Certificate, Basics of Graphic Design, Learn to Earn. Cape Town, South Africa.
- 2017 Sanlam Portrait Top 100, Cape Town, South Africa.
- 2020 FW20 Menswear collection – FIELDS STORE, Cape Town, South Africa.
- 2021 Commissioned Artwork – National Museum Collection, Bloemfontein, South Africa.
- 2019 Commissioned Artwork for Credo – Johnson & Johnson, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- 2021 Zanele Muholi Residency. Johannesburg, SA (March).
- 2021 Leap of Faith – Stellenbosch Visio – Summer 2021/ 2022, pg. 2 (November 2021)
- 2021 Wie war’s mal mit – Afrinova – In conversation with Keabetswe Boccomino, Online
- 2021 The Best Address – Buhle Nkalashe (ART), Online
- 2021 Viva Most Magazine – New Africa Exhibition, Online
- 2021 Authentic – Solo exhibition, 2020 Catalogue
- 2021 Artistic Impressions, The World of Interiors pg.174 (March 2021)
- 2020 AUTHENTIC, City Views, (CCID) Publication, SA
- 2020 Saatchi Art Fall Vol. 2 printed & digital catalogue
- 2020 Saatchi Art Fall Vol. 1 printed & digital catalogue
- 2020 Best Young Artists to Collect, Saatchi Art (September), Online
- 2020 Navigating life through Art, Afrinovart, Online (3 May)
- 2020 Art and about Africa – ART IS AN ESSENTIAL NEED, Ebook (July), Online
- 2020 Re-Emerge: A Remarkable Collection, 300 Magazine, Online (4 April), SA
- 2020 Highlighting the future while gesturing towards the past, Today’s Business Day, SA
- 2020 Cover Artist – New Contrast Journal, January Edition, SA
- 2019 Reawakening – Solo exhibition, 2019 Catalogue
- 2019 Saatchi Art’s printed catalogue, December Edition
- 2019 REAWAKENING by Buhle Nkalashe, ART TIMES Magazine, SA
- 2019 Re-Awakening – Creative Feel Online, SA
- 2019 Saatchi Art’s printed catalogue, October Edition
- 2019 Saatchi Art’s printed catalogue, September Edition
- 2019 Art comes to life at the RMB Turbine Art Fair, Sandton Chronicle, SA
- 2019 Re-Emerge – Turbine Art Fair, 2019 Catalogue
- 2019 Artist to watch: Buhle Nkalashe, Sowetan Live, SA
- 2018 The New African – Solo exhibition, 2018 Catalogue
- 2018 The New African – A solo exhibition, Between 10 & 5, SA
- 2018 Artist paints his way to greatness, Vukani Newspaper, SA
- 2018 In Conversation with Buhle Nkalashe, ART TIMES Magazine, SA
- 2016 From Ashes to Art, Creative King Magazine, SA
- 2021 Art X Lagos Fair. WORLDART Gallery (Online).
- 2021 Turbine Art Fair. WORLDART Gallery (Sep).
- 2021 Cape Town Digital Art Fair. WORLDART Gallery, Online (17 – 19 Sep).
- 2020 Latitude Art Fair. ODA Gallery franschhoek, Online (29 June).
- 2020 AT THE ART FAIR. Outdoor art display, Greenpoint – Brooklyn, NYC (30 April – 3 MAY).
- 2019 Turbine Art Fair. Red Room Gallery (July).
- 2022 UBIZO, Lizamore & Associates, Cape Town, SA
- 2021 IMIMOYA, Youngblood Africa, Cape Town, SA
- 2021 DOPAMINE, WORLDART Gallery, Cape Town, SA
- 2020 AUTHENTIC, Youngblood Africa, Cape Town, SA
- 2020 UNKNOWN, Gallery 2, Johannesburg, SA
- 2019 REAWAKENING, Youngblood Africa, Cape Town, SA
- 2018 THE NEW AFRICAN, Youngblood Africa, Cape Town, SA
- 2021 Through the window, Gallery 2, (November)
- 2021 Major Figures, Saatchi Online, (October)
- 2021 Winter ’21, Daor Contemporary, Cape Town, SA
- 2021 The New Africa, Salon Mondial Freilager-Platz 10, Munchenstein, Switzerland
- 2021 In and of Culmination, ArtistLab, Latitudes Online
- 2021 Healing, Youngblood Africa, Cape Town, SA
- 2020 DISRUPT, Red Room Gallery, Cape Town, SA
- 2020 Home Is Where The Art Is, Zeitz MOCAA, Cape Town, SA
- 2020 New Collection 29 June – Curated by Rebecca Wilson, Saatchi Art Online
- 2020 New Collection 15 June – Curated by Rebecca Wilson, Saatchi Art Online
- 2020 FACES OF AFRICA, ODA Gallery franschhoek, SA
- 2020 Highlights From The Future, Lizamore and Associates, SA
- 2020 New Collection 20 January – Curated by Rebecca Wilson, Saatchi Art Online
- 2020 New Collection 6 January – Curated by Rebecca Wilson, Saatchi Art Online
- 2019 World Top Emerging Artists – Curated by Rebecca Wilson, Saatchi Art Online
- 2019 Re-Emerge, Turbine Art Fair, Red Room Gallery, SA
- 2019 New Collection 10 June – Curated by Rebecca Wilson, Saatchi Art Online
- 2019 South African Emerging Artists, Saatchi Art Online Campaign
- 2019 Membership Exhibition, Artb Gallery, Bellville, SA
- 2019 This is Africa, Kingsbridge Art, Cape Town, Bellville, SA
- 2019 Africa’s Art Collective Seasons, Julie Miller Institute, SA
- 2019 Palate, Plate, Palette, Rust en Vrede Gallery, SA
- 2019 Sub 30, Woordfees, Stellenbosch University, SA
- 2019 Artist Proof Studio & Red Room collaboration, Cape Town, SA
- 2018 Portraits, Kingsbridge Art, Cape Town, Bellville, SA
- 2018 Vuleka Competition Exhibition, Artb Gallery, Bellville, SA
- 2018 Tuffo, Youngblood Africa, Cape Town, SA
- 2018 Stories, Youngblood Africa, Cape Town, SA
- 2018 Emerging Artist Exhibition, City of Cape Town, SA
- 2017 Naked Art, Youngblood Africa, Cape Town, SA
- 2017 Sanlam Portrait 100, University of Cape Town and Rust en Vrede Gallery, SA
- 2017 Chardonnay Deli, Cape Town, SA